George J. Mitchell Scholarship
The Mitchell Scholarship Program, named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service.
Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria:
- leadership, and
- a sustained commitment to community and public service.
The Mitchell Scholarship Program provides tuition, accommodation, a stipend for living expenses and travel.
Application Instructions: Campus Deadline September 6, this includes letters of recommendation
Currently enrolled undergraduate students must request an institutional endorsement from their university. Alums should apply directly to the scholarship program.
- Register for the Application through the Mitchell website.
- Contact your referees as soon as possible. Once they agree to write on your behalf you will register them to submit a letter using the Recommendation Registration Form. If you receive an endorsement from the college they will submit their letters through the Mitchell online application. You must register your writers before you submit your application and inform them that the letters are due by the campus deadline. Do not formally register your writers through the online application until after the committee meets.
- You will upload your transcripts and a confidentiality waiver (if you do not have one on file) using the Recommendation Registration Form, please be prepared to do this when you go to complete the Recommendation Registration form.
- Submit a PDF version of the online application to email@example.com by the campus deadline.
- You will have an interview with the Dean of Studies which will take place in the fall after the September 6 deadline.
Candidates will also formally register those writing a letter of recommendation on their behalf through the Mitchell application system. This is separate from the campus process which means writers will be asked to submit their letters twice through two different systems.
For Letter Writers: Candidates should register their references through the Vassar College online application for the campus deadline. Once registered, writers will receive a link to this Letter of Recommendation Submission Form. If you haven’t received an email please follow up with the applicant to ensure that you have been registered to write on his/her behalf. You may access this form at any time through this site, however, you cannot save information and return to the form at a later date.