The Beinecke Scholarship Program seeks to encourage and enable highly motivated students to pursue opportunities available to them and to be courageous in the selection of a graduate course of study in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Since 1975 the program has selected over 675 college juniors from 120+ different undergraduate institutions for support during graduate study at any accredited university.
Each scholar receives $5,000 prior to entering graduate school and an additional $35,000 while attending graduate school. There are no geographic restrictions on the use of the scholarship, and recipients are allowed to supplement the award with other scholarships, assistantships, and research grants. Scholars are encouraged to begin graduate study as soon as possible following graduation from college, and must utilize all of the funding within five years of completion of undergraduate studies. Each year approximately 135 colleges and universities are invited to nominate a student for a Beinecke Scholarship, and up to 20 new scholarships are awarded.
Vassar may nominate one junior to go forward in the national competition.
Campus Deadline: February 1st (This includes letters of recommendation)
Previous Vassar Beinecke Recipients
The following Vassar alums have been awarded a Beinecke Scholarship. You can view more information on the Beinecke Scholarship website.
Emma Iadanza ’22
Frank Najarro ’18
Grace M. Sparapani ’16
Sean M. Wehle ’13
Jamie N. Greenberg ’12
Jeff M. Tessin ’04
Julian Knox ’02
Rena Marie Strand ’00
Deborah M. Fish ’95
Natalie J. Friedman ’95
Joanna Oltman ’92
Dominique Pratt ’80
Beinecke Scholarship Program Eligibility
- Demonstrate superior standards of intellectual ability, scholastic achievement, and personal promise during their undergraduate career.
- Be a college junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree.
- Plan to enter a research- or creative-focused master’s or doctoral program in the arts, humanities or social sciences. Students in the social sciences who plan to pursue graduate study in neuroscience should not apply for a Beinecke Scholarship.
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Have a documented history of receiving need-based financial aid during their undergraduate years, with a preference for Pell Grant recipients.
Campus Application Instructions
- Before submitting a campus application, visit the Beinecke Website to download the following forms which you will need to complete and be ready to upload when you complete the campus application:
- Financial Aid Data Sheet: You can find this information on your Student Aid Report received from the FAFSA (link on the form) and your Vassar Financial Aid Award letter can be found on Banner; this details your outstanding loans over the past three years.
- Beinecke Application Form
- Upload a completed Confidentiality Waiver (if you do not have one on file) by using the Recommendation Registration Form.
- Contact three people to serve as your referees and once they all agree to write on your behalf you will register them to submit their letter using the Recommendation Registration Form. Register your writers early (before you submit your application) and inform them that the letters are due by the campus deadline.
- Complete the Beinecke Campus Application Form and submit it by the campus deadline. Be prepared to upload all materials requested when you go to complete the form.
You must submit your application through the online system as indicated above. Please note that you cannot save information in the application and return to it at a later date. You should save your work in a separate document and enter it all at once when you are ready to submit it.
For Letter of Recommendation Writers:
Candidates should register their references through the online application. Once registered, writers will receive a link to the Letter of Recommendation Form. If you haven’t received an email please follow up with the applicant to ensure that you have been registered to write on the student’s behalf. You may access this form at any time through this site, however, you cannot save information and return to the form at a later date.