In 2022, Vassar College Office of International Programs successfully applied for an Institute of International Education (IIE) American Passport Project Grant. In partnership with colleagues across campus and the Dutchess County Clerk’s office, we are proud to distribute funding for 25 students to receive a new, adult passport. The grant is intended to promote access to and equity in study abroad and encourage students to integrate an international experience into their college education. Learn more here.
Students must meet the following criteria, per IIE:
- Be a first-year student at Vassar (freshman or transfer)
- Hold U.S. citizenship
- Be a first-time adult passport applicant (or first-time adult passport applicant for your current gender identity)
- Receive a Pell Grant (or be Pell Grant eligible)
If you are eligible, please review the directions below. This is a special grant opportunity only available during fall 2022, so APPLY NOW!
- Please complete the Student Interest Form by October 1, 2022
- By October 14, 2022, you will receive a confirmation regarding eligibility to be a Passport Grant Recipient, at which point, Vassar will nominate you to IIE.
- If nominated, you will receive directions to complete a brief questionnaire via an IIE portal, due by October 30, 2022.
- Upon completion of the questionnaire, IIE will notify Vassar (likely in November) if you have been selected as a grant recipient.
- Once IIE selected, you will need to gather documentation in order to complete your passport application, and then attend an event in December 2022 to finalize and submit your application (details will be announced to the recipients).
Q: Am I required to study abroad if I receive this grant? Will I need to return the funds if I decide not to study abroad during my career at Vassar?
A: It is not a requirement that you study abroad, and you will not need to return the grant funds if you decide not to study abroad. However, in order to be successful with your application for these funds, it is important that you have an interest in potentially studying abroad, given the nature of the grant purposes.
Q: I am not sure if I receive a Pell Grant. How do I find out?
A: Contact the Student Financial Services office to inquire if a Pell Grant is a part of your financial aid package.
Q: I have held a passport before, but I was younger than 16 years old when it was issued. Am I still eligible for this grant?
A: Yes, if you have never had an adult passport before (or if your adult passport does not align with your current gender identity), you are eligible for this grant.
Q: I am a transfer student in my first year at Vassar. Am I eligible to apply?
A: If you are in your first-year at Vassar as a new transfer student, then yes, you are eligible.
Other questions? Please email email@example.com to inquire for any further clarifications.