Although the individual rooms at Vassar seem almost as diverse as the student body, the following descriptions are helpful.
One Room Double
A single room shared by two students. Some of these rooms have accordion-style room dividers for added privacy.
Generally one to three rooms shared by four students.
Generally has three rooms (sometimes four), two of which are joined by a doorway and one of which is separate. All the rooms open into a common living room that is shared.
One Room Triple
A single room shared by three students.
Two Room Triples
A single room off of a one-room double.
Two Room Doubles
A single room off of another single room.
A solo room—a high proportion of rooms are singles. These are not usually available for first-year students.
Students are provided with a dresser, a desk, a chair, a bed frame, a mattress, a wardrobe, and an ethernet jack. Each room also comes with overhead lighting and at least one window (most with screen and shade). We strongly recommend that you bring desk lamps, as the overhead lights do not provide enough light for reading.
All houses have wireless access to the Internet as well as wired Ethernet access in all student rooms. To use the wireless network, the student’s laptop must have a wireless network card or adapter. This is usually offered as a built-in option on most laptops. To use the wired access, students need an Ethernet card or adapter installed in their desktop or laptop. Virtually every new computer has a built-in network adapter. For help with connecting to the network, students may contact CIS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All houses have:
- A multipurpose room equipped with cable television, a DVD/VCR, and sometimes a pool table or ping pong table
- A full-size kitchen with a stove, refrigerator, microwave oven, dishwasher, and sink
- For events and social gatherings, a parlor equipped with a Steinway piano
- Washers and dryers located in the basement (in Main, they are located on the third floor and the south wing of the second floor)
- Gender-neutral bathrooms
- A computer cluster
- Vending machines and an ice machine