The Udall Scholarship: For sophomores and juniors interested in a career related to the environment. The foundation expects to award 50 scholarships up to $7,000 and 50 honorable mentions. Scholarships are offered in any of three categories:
- To students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to the environment;
- To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to tribal public policy;
- To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to Native health care.
Eligible candidates should have an overall GPA of at least a B, must be a US citizen, US national or permanent resident.
The Udall Foundation seeks future leaders across a wide spectrum of environmental fields, including policy, engineering, science, education, urban planning and renewal, business, health, justice, and economics. The Foundation also seeks future Native American and Alaska Native leaders in public and community health care, tribal government, and public policy affecting Native American communities, including land and resource management, economic development, and education.
Vassar may nominate up to 6 students. Applications are reviewed by a faculty committee, chaired by the Dean of Studies. Candidates are notified of the decision shortly after the campus deadline. All deliberations of the committee are confidential.
Udall Webinars for Students:
CAMPUS DEADLINE: February 1, this includes all letters of recommendation
- Visit the Udall website for information on How to Apply; here you can find a sample application that can be helpful as you think about your application.
- If you are interested in applying, schedule a "Fellowships Advising" appointment on Handshake.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. Contact your referees as soon as possible. Once they agree to write on your behalf you will register them to submit a letter using the Recommendation Registration Form.
- You will upload your transcripts and a confidentiality waiver (if you do not have one on file) using the Recommendation Registration Form, please be prepared to do this when you go to complete the form.
- Submit your application through the Udall system by the campus deadline, the application will come to the fellowships office and will be forwarded to the committee for review.
For Letter Writers: Candidates should register their references through the Vassar College online application for the campus deadline. Once registered, writers will receive a link to this Letter of Recommendation Submission Form. If you haven't received an email please follow up with the applicant to ensure that you have been registered to write on his/her behalf. You may access this form at any time through this site, however, you cannot save information and return to the form at a later date.
Vassar Udall Scholars:
2014: Gabriel Dunsmith '15
2011: Ethan Buckner '13
2007: Joana Chan '08
2002 & 2003: Katrina Przyjemski ’04
Vassar Honorable Mentions:
2013: Gabriel Dunsmith '15