Extension cords, hot plates, halogen lamps, immersion coils, air conditioners, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, and open-coil appliances are prohibited in college residences as they pose a threat of electrical overload and/or fire.
Space heaters may only be used when installed by Facilities Operations. Micro-fridges, computers, stereos, televisions, radios, irons, non-commercial hairdryers, and other similar appliances are permitted unless specifically prohibited by the Office of Residential Life. All appliances must have a manufacturer’s label that shows the listing by a nationally recognized testing laboratory (e.g., ETL, UL, etc.). We strongly recommend the use of a surge protector(s). Extension cords are not permitted. Care should be taken to prevent fire hazards resulting from excessive use of appliances and over-dependence on power strips.
Lamps: A Special Safety Advisory
- The use of halogen lamps is prohibited. Carefully read all safety instructions and warnings that accompany any lamp.
- Never use bulbs of one of a higher wattage or of a different style than is recommended by the manufacturer's instructions. Compact florescent bulbs are recommended.
- Never remove or discard a bulb that is hot to the touch; don't try to operate a lamp that has damaged or missing parts.
- Do not place lamps near clothing, draperies or bedding, as incidental contact with the lamp bulb could ignite the material. Keep lamps away from windows, bunk beds, and closets.
- NEVER place materials such as towels or clothing on top of lamps.
- Avoid placing lamps in locations where they may be knocked over.
- Always remember to turn off or unplug any lamp when changing bulbs or when leaving your room/apartment.
Main House residents may only have one unit per single room, one-room double, or suite. Refrigerators may not be greater than 5 cubic feet.
The following appliances may be used in student rooms and apartments:
- Hair dryers
- Sewing machines
- Electric brooms
- Electric razors
- Electric toothbrushes
- Hot pots w/automatic controls
- Curling irons
- Vacuum cleaners
- Home computers
- VCR/DVD/Blueray players
- Gaming consules
- Electric coffee pots w/ automatic controls
- Record players/CD players
- Tape recorders
- Slide projectors
- Irons with automatic shutoff
The following appliances may be used in the South Commons, Town House or Terrace Apartments, but only in the kitchens:
- Frying pans
- Toaster ovens
- Other hot pots
- Popcorn poppers